Sunday, May 20, 2007

Thus it begins: the first workout

Friday was the first real workout. How to describe it... let's just say that I was very aware of where I need to go. And that I was thinking, over and over, "Quality of life."

The workout was 45 minutes of resistance training and 15 minutes of cardio.

Under the watchful eye of Jonathan, one of the trainers, I started out on the exercise bike, because getting your heart rate pumping before working out helps burn calories much faster. Then pretty extensive stretching. Since I was going to be working muscles that I'd forgotten I have!

Next I did two "Tri Sets" with a very short rest between each one, rested for a couple of minutes, and then did four "Circuits." These are sets of exercises that are grouped together to work upper body, core (torso/abs) and lower body. And are designed to be sure that you don't overwork one set of muscles that push, to the detriment of the opposing muscles (e.g. don't want to overwork quads and neglect hamstrings).

Then ended with Jonathan stretching particular muscles in my legs, back and arms, to help the muscles to speedy recovery. And last, 15 minutes on the exercise bike, following a series of stages designed to get my heart working overtime, push and recover, then cool down.