Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Big, Fat, "What If"

So I started this week. And it's been dawning on me just how much work lies ahead. What have I gotten myself into, and why?

I'm 34 years old. I have two beautiful kids and a gorgeous wife―she's so gorgeous that I like to joke that when people see her with the chubby guy, they must think I'm rich.

So I have no desire to get a ripped bod and walk the beaches of Cancun with my shirt off. I'm not looking to relive glory days of high school athletics (they weren't that glorious). And I'm not really inclined to try to become a mid-life adventure racer―although I certainly admire people who do.

What I want are those things that Julian said are possible. What if I could work better, play better, sleep better? What if I could avoid and prevent disease?

Now that my kids are getting older, what if I had more energy to start doing outdoor sports with them, in the woods around Chattanooga? Like I used to.

What if I could my body as the proving ground that there can be a better way than simply eating whatever I want, whenever I want? And not exercising because I'm "too busy."

Maybe now that I'm listening, my body will sit up and say, "Hey there. I've been trying to get your attention for a long time."