Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Grand Experiment

My friends and I have been thinking a lot about truth in marketing lately. A couple of weeks ago I was talking about it with Julian Kaufman, a friend of mine who is a personal trainer.

He said that the fitness and health industry in our country is as guilty as anyone. Encouraging men and women to find their value only in body image and appearance. Sex, being skinny, and an unhealthy approach to eating. Looking only at the number in the back of your swimsuit, or a number on a scale.

He is absolutely committed to stand over against this sort of advertising. According to Julian's philosophy, true fitness is about quality of life, disease prevention, building endurance and strength and flexibility, and supportive nutrition. Feeling better, working better, playing better, even relaxing better.

Big claims. But not baloney― because I know Julian, and I believe he is telling me the truth.

So we decided on a grand experiment: let's take 12 weeks and see what can be done to change a lifestyle. Not just a body shape, but a lifestyle.

All we needed to start was one unhealthy body. And I just happened to have one with me.