Sunday, May 20, 2007

The morning after

Yesterday I sat down to write up my notes from the week. I was seated on the couch with my kids (after eating breakfast), writing on my laptop as they watched Sesame Street. And, believe it or not―Elmo was on screen teaching Mr. Noodle how to exercise, and then singing "Exercise" over and over to the tune of Jingle Bells.

That little red creature has never been one for subtlety, but this morning his educational message was hitting me right between the eyes. And in the hamstrings. And in the lower back. And in the abs that I'd forgotten are there, underneath my belly.

I wasn't miserable on the morning after, not by any stretch of the imagination. I had half-expected not to be able to stand up (although frankly, if I'd worked out by myself and pushed too hard, I might have felt that way). But I woke up and did some stretches that Jonathan had shown me to do, and walked for a half-hour with my girls in the stroller.

Tonight I made my kids pizza while I made grilled tuna with a spinach salad and piece of bread. And to be honest, as I was drinking my second glass of water, I could easily have polished off half of that pizza. But I didn't.

In a few minutes I'm taking my kids to Greenlife on a grocery run. I'll stretch again before I go to sleep. And I'll be back at Fitness Together tomorrow, and then back online with more of the 12 week transformation.