Sunday, May 20, 2007

My fitness and nutrition assessment

Julian has two studios in Chattanooga, Fitness Together Frazier and Fitness Together Gunbarrel.
Because Frazier is closer to my office, I showed up there two days ago for a fitness assessment.

The personal trainers at the studio are educated, certified, smart and enthusiastic. They enjoy their job, and take it seriously: to be your coach, accountability and guide in how to work out and eat.

And their first order of business is to find out where you are, in order to see where where you want to go. So the hour-long fitness assessment includes weight, body composition (muscle to fat), heart rate, flexibility, and much more.

Here's the short version:
- exercise history (none in 10+ years)
- resting and exercising heart rate (scary)
- how many push ups I can do (above average for my age)
- what percentage of my body is fat (I'm not obese, but I'm more than 30% body fat. Which is not okay, to say the least)
- and so on.

It adds up, and for me it's not a very a pretty picture. In fact, it's a little bit of a wake up call.