Wednesday, August 1, 2007

the Walnut Street Running Bridge

Because of meetings this week, I had to skip a day of working out so I came in Saturday morning to train with Chris. Afterward the 45 minute session, instead of doing cardio on one of the machines he said, "Let's run across the Walking Bridge and back."

The Walnut Street Walking Bridge the longest walking bridge in the world, a half-mile each way.

At this point in my 12 week program we are pushing pretty hard and at the end of every workout I'm definitely spent. But that's a great time to do cardio (after you've already had your heartrate up for 45 minutes of training), and I end each session with 15 minutes on the stationary bike, treadmill or elliptical machine. A run across the bridge seemed like a nice change from looking at the bridge and our scenic city from the windows of the FT studio.

Okay, okay, I admit that I'm no 25 year old trainer, not even 10 weeks into this program! Upon reaching the far side I told Chris to head on back to the studio, that I needed to rest for a minute. Of course, he was polite enough to pretend like he needed to stretch out a bit too, take a 3 minute breather.

But the skies were grey in that way that seems to capture so much history of Chattanooga - our old Civil War, manufacturing and railroad town that has made such an incredible turnaround - and other runners were on this beautiful bridge, and a breeze off the river kept me cool despite the humidity. It was a great way to start the weekend.