Monday, August 6, 2007

The Naysayers Weigh In

I'm now at the start of the last week of my program. While a lot of people nicely point out how much I've changed, a couple of my friends are making predictions on how long they think it will take me to change (back) after the program.

Ironically, these are the same folks who warned me that it'd be too much trouble to schedule working out 5 days a week, or that sticking to a Caleb-specific prescribed meal plan would be a real hassle for my family.

Of course, it HAS taken effort - a lot of effort - but at the same time it was as simple as making a commitment and then following through.

Am I going to balloon back up after the program is over?
Am I worried?

Oh, these friends of little faith! I'm not worried because about a month ago I reached a tipping point, where I really started looking forward to the workouts. I ran 3 miles yesterday, up on mountain roads... and it was technically a day off.

I will say that I'm pretty confident I will not continue working out 5 days a week for an hour each day, simply because that is hard to fit into my work + family schedule. But I can say with equal confidence that I don't want to slide backward over that same tipping point, losing the ground that I've gained.

Everything is hard before it gets easy, and I've done the really, really hard part.

And is a life of Taco Bell and breathing heavily when I go up stairs really so rewarding? I think not.