Monday, August 6, 2007

Can't be a Coincidence

6 years ago, around the time I left my PhD program to enter the business world, my doctor put me on Nexium for acid reflux, which had worn away the lining of my esophagus to the point that I had Barretts Esophagus, a "pre-cancer" state.

Nexium ('the purple pill' you hear about on TV) two times a day has helped. The doctor said that it would be ideal if we can eventually get it down to 1x a day, but I could never cut back on my daily dosage that without the acid reflux hurting me after a day or two. I knew that coffee, Coke and fatty foods were a big part of the problem, but never seemed to care enough to avoid them.

Is it coincidence that after three months, I am taking only one Nexium a day? Coffee, Coke and fatty foods simply aren't on the menu.

It's cool, how good things can snowball. You start making decisions that are good for your body, and you want to make another, and another... to see more good benefits.