Tuesday, June 26, 2007

On balance

Here’s another thing that is quite cool. Part of my dynamic warmup (see “On stretching”) every day is a set of ten knee hugs. Simple enough... you hug one knee to your chest while standing, then drop that knee taking a step forward, and hug the other one. Funny thing is that when I first started with Fitness Together, my body was so out of balance that I often had to reach out with one hand to touch the wall, to stay straight upright.

No longer true. Now I can stand easily, because my legs are stronger and my body is re-finding its center of gravity.

It’s fun to have lost a bunch of weight, to be so close to my personal target weight and not even yet halfway through the program. But it’s these little things - like finding my balance literally and metaphorically - that are starting to add up, and make me realize that this is a life change, not just a change of pants size.