Sunday, June 17, 2007

Just the spring rolls, please

Was in Chicago all week at a trade show, and every evening went to great restaurants with the company and our clients. Places like Smith & Wollensky, Bin 36, and two great fusion restaurants. Most fusion cuisine is marketing fluff, but these were nice blends of spice and subtlety - Le Colonial (French/Vietnamese) and Vermillion (Indian/ Spanish).

My point? Eating the right serving-size portions was tough, because of the variety of delicious options on offer. And although I admit to having more my allotted 3 oz glass of red wine at a couple of these shindigs, I found that it really was possible to eat right - thanks to a month of good practice. If I hadn't had a solid month under my belt, I shudder to think of the overindulgence.

The trick, I found, was that I could get great flavors without bulking up on portions by ordering two appetizers only... and if I had an entree I made sure it was fish or lean meat, with lots of good green stuff to eat on the side.