Tuesday, June 26, 2007

On breathing

Another part of exercise that seems obvious, but isn’t... when I started working out, I found myself often holding my breath during exertion. Heavy weight or big sprint? Somehow my body thought it logical to take a breath and hold it until the strain was over.

The trainers have taught me to breathe deeply with every exertion. Every time I push up the barbell, exhale. During a sprint on the treadmill, deep breaths. At first it felt like too much, like I was hyperventilating, but as I’ve learned to slow down during repetitions (keep your heart rate high, but don’t hurry through it), it’s become more natural.

The ‘why’ is simple: more oxygen = better for my body. No surprise there. But there’s an added benefit. The more oxygen I get flowing, the harder I can push my body. And the harder I push my body, the more calories I burn and benefit I get from each workout.