Sunday, June 3, 2007

My new nutrition

Okay, this weekend is a good time for me to talk about nutrition because on Thursday night our company had its fifth birthday bash - Happy Bday, Tricycle! And I cheated a bit.

"Cheating" doesn't mean what it would have a month ago - when I easily could have downed seven slices of pizza and two of the wonderful cake that my wife made (I'm unapologetically impressed by my missus). But I did have a sandwich that included a slice of salami and a half piece of that cake. Not exactly lean or lowfat.

So am I getting obsessive? Nah. And even for people following his meal recommendations religiously, Julian encourages us to take a wee break from the rules once a week, so long as we don't go overboard. Because when you take a whole-life view of fitness... being obsessive, guilt ridden and frustrated is no healthier than gorging on junk food.

A lady who was on the treadmill beside me last time asked what I think about FT's online journaling concept. I ought got to say, keeping an online journal of what I eat has been freeing, rather than guilt-inducing. Because I'm more aware of what I eat, and because of the accountability. I see the faces of Julian and Kyle floating in the air, there in the grocery store, between me and the frozen pizzas.

This is the sort of report that I send: what I ate yesterday. As you can see, I'm not hurting for flavor or for being full.

Saturday 6.02
breakfast - 1 Tablespoon of natural peanut butter on Niedlov's "Four Seed" bread
snack - handful of raw almonds
lunch - homemade wrap of hummus, arugula sprouts and spinach on a whole wheat tortilla
snack - orange
dinner - 1 serving of tofu, 2 new potatoes, 1 serving of fresh green beans, sauteed in olive oil and lemon pepper
and, all day long - lots, lots, lots of water.